our family, our food, our fun

Monday, April 4, 2011

Because.

As a parent, no matter if you have super shy, introverted kids or loud, outgoing, gregarious kids-- you will say "because" a lot. This post if for my quiet child and my loud child and my dramatic child to them I say, BECAUSE! Some of the questions recently that I wish I could have said "because" to and left it at that....but I didn't, I had to explain.
Finally warm enough to walk to school again!

What is that mom? A tampon. What is it for? Um. Why do you need it? Because.
Why are there waves in the ocean? Um, I forget. Why, didn't you remember? Because.
Why are you making that for dinner? Because.
What is the difference between hail and frozen rain? Sheesh, Because.
Why do baby turtles get eaten by birds? Because.
Will you be the room mom for my class next year? We'll see. Why not?! Because.
Why don't we want to spend money on a parakeet? Because.
Why aren't the hermit crabs moving? Because.
Why did you get baptized when you were a big kid and not when you were 8? Because....Okay, this one I will explain.

*Because when I was in high school, I was struggling with my faith in the church I went to. There was nothing wrong or bad that was happening, I just didn't feel committed to a God that I didn't feel like I knew. I didn't understand how God could be 3 things in one being. I couldn't understand it. Maybe that is my own limitation but I received an answer and that is where my faith started to develop and mold into what it is today- Below are some of the reasons I am still a Latter-Day Saint...

*Because, I believe in God. I believe that I have a Father in Heaven and I believe that Jesus Christ is both my Savior and a man that lived before the earth was created in premortality. I believe he is my brother and that helps me understand his role in my life. Having a Heavenly Father and a Savior helps me to grasp them each as individuals and I know that they are like me. I can relate to them because I understand who they are.

*Because I believe that every church must be an entity that evolves with the times and needs of it's members. To evolve, it is a necessity to have a person that is led by God, that can speak for God on the earth (as the prophets of old did in the primitive church). Our prophet today spoke about Social Media being a good thing for the growth of the church and for news to travel quickly. 15 years ago, there was no social media. There was barely internet! I believe in the power of the priesthood and I believe this organization existed when Christ was on the earth.

*Because The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints requires sacrifice. Joseph Smith said, "A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary unto life and salvation." I believe we are tested on this earth and as we go through trials and seek to rely on the Lord through those trials, we gain greater confidence and also a deeper insight into the sacrifice of the Savior. I wouldn't say I am grateful for trials, maybe I should be able to say that. But instead, I recognize the purification that comes through trials in an attempt to make us more Christlike. Hopefully, we are taking that opportunity.

*Because I believe that there is more than just relaxing and hanging out in the afterlife. I believe in progression. Progression won't stop when we die.

*Because I believe that I am responsible for my own sin and not for the sins of Adam and Eve.

*Because I believe that I can be with my family for eternity. I am grateful for that knowledge. It makes me want to be a better person. A better wife, daughter, mother, friend, grandaughter, aunt, and sister.

Pedro on the toy at the car wash. Saving lives one car wash at a time. My hero.

*Because I just spent Saturday and Sunday in front of the television for 4 hours each day. We heard from the prophet of our church and the 1st presidency and the quorum of the 12 apostles. We heard from other church leaders as well as they celebrated the 75 year anniversary of the inception of the welfare program of the church. The church in many disasters and conflicts, has been the first to have resources available on the scene. I am grateful for the organization of the church and consider it to be one of the reasons I joined the church as a "big kid."

For this and many other reasons, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I was baptized when I was a big kid and feel like I know who I am now more than ever. I am grateful to be a part of an organization where service and charity and love of our fellow man and woman is of paramount importance. Of course there are some members of the church who act poorly and they will make an accounting of that just as I will make an accounting for my inadequacies. I think most of us are doing the best we can.

Unless you are one of my kids or have been in a sacrament meeting with me where I have spoken, you don't know why I am what I am. Because. Because. Because!

7 comments:

Kim Allgood said...

Dear Edna, please don't look at my grammar.

Love,
Kim

Dave Allgood said...

As one big kid who joined the church to another, I knew something about why you are who you are, but it was wonderful reading more about it, Kim. Our grandkids are fortunate to have a mom with such a strong testimony and a willingness to share it with them instead of leaving that particular question at "Because." asking why.

Alan Macfarlane said...

Ha! Your grammar is impeccable. Edna would never slam such an incredible sharing of testimony and faith.

Unknown said...

why did I comment when I was signed in as my husband? Because!

(because I am a moron)

Kim Allgood said...

Thanks for your pass, Edna.

Spring break next week Anna, are you guys out too? Trying to fill the days up with stuff since the weather isn't supposed to be great. Let me know if you want to hang out.

Dave, we are looking forward to the weekend!

Laney said...

Thank you for sharing that! It was enriching for so many reasons. Your such a good momma bear, too!

Mama Bell said...

This is why I miss your face so much! From hermit crabs to your great and strong testimony! Keep working hard in the trenches of mommy-hood!