Well, my dream world started to fade a little last October when we were on our way to the airport, we heard a loud clunk and pulled over to the side of the road. It was the transmission. The celebrity status of my minivan was fading. We fixed the transmission to the tune of about $2400.00- but after we got it back, our sweet friend was parked in our garage once again. My heart was cautiously optimistic. After that episode, November and December both brought out of state road trips that White Van handled with ease. I was again a believer. We attempted another just this last weekend to Folsom, California for an Allgood family reunion. White Van was a dream. So comfy and nice. Then came the return trip. 2 hours from nowhere. "BANG"- whammo, my heart sank in my chest and White Van again barely made it to the side of the road. We were towed to Winnemucca, in Hell County, Nevada. The tow truck driver said we would be fine if we stayed in the van for the 38 mile trip while he towed us. We were a little terrified but since we had sleeping kids, thought it may be nice for the kids to get one last sleepover in White Van. Our tow-truck sojourn ended at the Holiday Inn Express. We unloaded our luggage and went to check in at the front desk. The nice man at the front desk said his only room available was a Whirlpool Suite with a king bed, and a sofa bed. I guess I didn't realize what Whirlpool Suite actually meant....until I got there. Exhausted and travel weary we opened the door to our room and smelled the heavy, damp, smokey air. In another life, I may have cried but I layed down on that king sized bed and had one of the best laughing episodes of my life. AN ENORMOUS hot tub graced the room surrounded by mirrors. The casino lights were blaring from nearby casinos and all the tackiness you can imagine was in that Whirlpool Suite. Jared walked in the room with the rest of our luggage and summed up what we were all feeling as he exclaimed, "WINNE-FREAKIN-MUCCA." What a trip.
In White Van, on back of tow truck, traveling 80MPH...Frightening
Las Margaritas- Winnemucca style
This level of tackiness can only be found here in Winnemucca- some guest left this in the lobby.
Whirlpool SAWEET!....nuf said.



8 comments:
Winnemucca...I'll never forget you. I hope to never return, but I'll never forget you.
so how did you get home???
well our transmission was still under warranty at the shop in Lehi that fixed it last time. So....they drove the 5.5 hours in their tow truck- they towed a car for us to drive back in- then we all drove home and got in a little after midnight this morning. It was lovely. But that will all be a part of Winnefreakinmucca pt.2 ;-)
Ooh, that whirlpool tub looks really nice. Bet ya' paid a pretty penny for that fun thing.
You guys are awesome! Seriously, what an experience. What would life be like without them! :)
I think it was just a sign that you tried to end your vacation too early. You should have stayed in Folsom one more day with us!! Granted, we did not have a hot tub in.the.room at the Residence Inn (is that where we stayed?)
So sorry you guys had to deal with that though, but glad you didn't have to fork over another $2.5k. And hey, did the place in Lehi pay for your hotel?? They should have.
-Kate
P.S. Do you think White Van will be able to make the trek to Seattle for Thanksgiving? Oh, is this not the best time to ask about that?
Oh Kate, White Van will be replaced before Thanksgiving. No worries. We did leave too soon- we were being punished, I recognize that now. See you in Washington! (if it's cool with Jared!;-) Love you guys!
Good thing it's still under warranty, but what a bummer way to get home. So if you're in seattle in a few months I'd love to see you again and meet your family! We could meet somewhere for a few hours close to where you're staying or your family would be welcome here to play and eat!
Post a Comment