The handcart- the rocks represent the stuff
UH-OH MJ had the same problem
Dee came to MJ's rescue with a larger more sturdy wagon!
Can you imagine traveling 1000 miles with conditions like these-only worse?
Great Scott! Rebs broke her leg! (not really but for our purposes she did!) Her big sister must carry her on her back!
These things really happened to those early pioneers- on top of starvation, persecution, illness, and death of family members. Not to mention, day after day after day for 3 months they went through these things. Our girls slept like babies after this activity- imagine what it was like to really be there. People gave up so much for freedom in this country and some people when they got here didn't receive it. This lesson was a reminder of the sacrifice of the pioneers and to me it was an acknowledgement of the damage caused by ignorance. I hope my kids will choose acceptance over judgement, understanding over bigotry, peace over war, and service over indulgence. 



2 comments:
Good family home evening.
I'm afraid that if I pretended like Abram had a broken leg the girls would say, oh well, and leave him for dead. Maybe we need a few more "significant" family home evenings.
I'm sure your kids will remember this lesson for a long time and reflect back on it. Its so great to have these teaching moments!
Post a Comment