our family, our food, our fun

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Donut Falls and Potty Training

Preschool Prep!
MUST POTTY TRAIN!
"Come what may and love it!"

Here is Dee helping me love it!***We went to Donut Falls last weekend on another hike. We are trying to make a weekly or every-other-weekly habit out of hiking so check back every once in a while for trail reviews. Donut Falls was a fun hike! Easy for kids. We did the lower trail that goes to the bottom of the falls but the upper trail seems like it would be fun also. We are excited to do it again. Heavy duty hiking boots were probably excessive but Jared says the more I wear them, the more comfortable they will be for longer hikes. And while "Comfortable" and "Longer Hikes" don't really go together in the same sentence, I'll go ahead and trust him.
Here they are in White Van, ready to go.

Peapod worked so hard during the hike...I was worried he would sleep all night. Unfortunately, my worries were unfounded! ;-)
Donut Falls (lower trail)
review
pros...
1.5 miles round trip
Gentle hill- easy for 6 and 5 year old (and 30-yr old mom)
water feature at the end!
cons...
a little short
pretty crowded but worth it
overall...
3.6/5

Brighton Lakes Review (2 weeks ago) 2.2 miles roundtrip to the first lake but there are 2 more lakes we didn't make it to- it looked like a storm was coming. Other hikers say the other two lakes are more scenic but we thought lake martha was beautiful.
pros...
very scenic
less traveled
nice temp
perfect length for kids
lake(s) at the end!
cons...
steep for kids
be prepared for hiking in water
4.4/5

3 comments:

Jed and Kate said...

I've never potty-trained a child, but I must say, that looks like the most cheerful potty-trainee I have ever seen. Adorable.

So glad you guys are taking advantage of your surroundings and going on family hikes! I seriously get emotional looking back on the memories made hiking with my family. Such a good way to bond as a famiy, appreciate nature, and teach your girls (and boy) that they can do ANYTHING!

Oh, and can I just say it is totally impressive that you're tackling these hikes with 4 little kids? What an awesome mom.

Miss you mucho.
-Kate

Unknown said...

Looks like SO MUCH FUN

Thanks again for dinner (completely mooched off you) and dessert.

You are numero uno!

sallgood said...

Great hikes! (I enlarged your family photo and then noticed the girls in the background over Reb. It looks like they are miniature people, riding along with her!)