I started running every morning, 4-5 mornings a week for the past 6 weeks. My friend Allison is getting married in February and I ordered a bridesmaid dress 2 sizes smaller than I actually am. Oops. It is one of those designer dresses that is actually made true to the size it should be. Dangit! So tying up the tennis shoes at 5:45am is a true labor of love for my dear Allison. If I have to leave the back unzipped and wear an overcoat- I'll do it :-)
I have not been a runner at any point in my life. I was one of the three girls that always walked the mile in elementary school. Not because I needed to but because I really didn't like to run. In Celebration of my 32nd birthday AND my ten year anniversary, I decided to kick it up a notch. The yearly ten pound weight gain that many couples put on will unfortunately not look good on me and my short frame as we head into middle age. So, I am asking for any hints you runners out there have for staying motivated while running. I need no help getting out of bed, I need help staying on the sidewalk and pushing through the desire to stop and lay down. Any chants? Visualizations? Run with music? Run in silence? Rotate shoes? What do ya got for me?
As briefly mentioned above, Jared and I celebrated our ten year anniversary on August 11th. Being married has never been a trial for us- rarely has it felt like work. It comes easy to us and for that, I am so grateful. Jared, you are wicked cool and I love you. Can't wait to cross the border with you and Viva Mexico for 9 days. When mi esposo gets home from work, I will get the back-to-school photos from his phone and do the token back-to-school post.
Speaking of wicked cool....

Yes, those are plaid shorts with dinosaur pajama bottoms and a killer tank up top. Let me know if you need purchase details.
Um, where then?




9 comments:
Read Born to Run, and listen to music. When it gets hard, I chant something from the BTR book. The book makes really is inspiring and has a fair amount of science as well. Of course if you've given up the left you will not appreciate the references to evolution:)
I'll never moderation- i'll absolutely not abandon evolution ! So, I will definitely be getting that book! Thanks, Martha!
abandon moderation
my best running find in the last 3 months is a partner. Someone who is counting on you to be there and counting on you to push through those first two miles so that the next ones get easier. Ask around. Maybe someone is looking for you? ;)
Or looking at a spot and concentrating on that spot pulling you forward. When you get there, you focus on a new spot.
oh. and trust Martha more than Anna.
Good luck. Two sizes! You can do it.
Ha Anna, thanks! Thanks to everyone who posted here and on facebook. I guess I need to get an ipod, a book, a partner, strength training, and, wow, I can't believe I don't have an ipod yet.
Kim I saw your blog link on facebook and was intrigued! I hope it is okay I am checking it out. I saw that you had mentioned running and I wanted to see what you were up to. I have seen you out a few times. Way to go girl! When I started getting into running the only way I knew I would keep it up was to sign up for a race. You don't have to do anything crazy, but maybe a 5k with a goal time or something. That has always helped motivate me. If you ever want a running buddy, facebook me. I actually need to get up at that time to go too, but have been to lazy. Good luck! Darling fam by the way!
Hey Kim! I despise running myself, but I started about 2 years ago because it's the only thing that makes me lose baby weight. I agree with all of the above - I made a playlist on my MP3 player of just running music (80s tunes are always inspiring). I also signed up for a 1/2 marathon that I had to train for. The fact that my $100 entrance fee was nonrefundable, I was determined to finish the training. I also like to watch the biggest loser - if they can push through things, so can I. And it does get easier. Once I was in shape, I didn't mind it so much. Now that I had a baby 2 months ago and I just started runnung again last week, it is t-o-r-ture! I just keep remindig myself that it gets better. :) Good for you getting up that early!
Can't help you out whatsoever in the running department because I'm a non-runner. I don't own an ipod either! But I did get a good laugh at the fireworks sign and your little boy's outfit. Classic. Hope you're having a good day!
I started running with Annie every morning and if I ever go by myself I always end up walking alot of it, so I say a partner. Annie and I are off running for a bit so if you want a running partner a couple days a week I would totally be up for it.
Post a Comment