The thermostat tipped 60 degrees and we flooded outside. My kids played for hours in the neighborhood. I went on a couple of walks. I didn't realize how much I loved the sunshine because I REALLY love rain. Yesterday was a perfect day. Even the Cutco knife demonstration was not annoying. We bought a couple! We were in all in good moods!
kids actually PLAYING outside!
I took Beck and Pedro to the gardens and out to lunch yesteray. Oh the happiness.
Beck wanted to pose every second minute.
In the greenhouse
Pedro had forgotten what sunshine felt like!My kids have grown weary of the same old snacks around the house. So, while they were at school today I decided to make up a recipe for whole wheat apple cinnamon mini muffins. I ground some wheat, chopped some apples and came up with this:

Kim's Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Mini Muffin RecipePreheat 375 degrees
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups ultra-grain flour (from Costco- it's a blend of flours) or you can use All-purpose flour instead- or stick with all whole wheat
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
6 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups buttermilk (or dump 2 T. of vinegar or lemon juice into a glass measuring cup and fill with milk to 2 cups. Let sit covered for ten minutes and then use in place of buttermilk.)
3/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup wheat germ, if you have it- it is optional
1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
1 cup of applesauce
2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
4 cups finely diced apples
Mix dry ingredients (flours, sugars, baking powder, wheat germ, and cinnamon) and then add wet ingredients and mix until just combined
I poured mine into my mini muffin tin and baked at 375 for 12 minutes. If you make standard size muffins, bake for 18-22 minutes. This batch made 90 mini muffins. If you aren't interested in 90 muffins, go ahead and halve the recipe. These were surprisingly delish!



4 comments:
Those pictures of Peter are freaking awesome. Just thought I'd let you know in case you were wondering.
I really miss you guys! I might have to make a road trip out there if I ever have a spare weekend...
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new pictures...can't wait to see you in a few days!!!
oh yes to the sunshine.
and great pictures. I was starting to wonder what you guys looked like these days! ;)
We need to go to the gardens. I'm getting antsy for the gardens.
Post a Comment