our family, our food, our fun

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Week of 80's movies

My Dad raised me on karate/ kung fu/ Steven Seagal/ Jean Claude Van Dam movies. This may not be very interesting to most so I will throw in a few faves from my Dad's influence and a few faves from my big sister's influence.

Starting with Day 1- Can't Buy Me Love
Order it on Netflix TODAY! The story of geeky high-school kid trying to buy his way to popularity. I think this is one of my top ten movies of all time. My sister and I had this baby memorized!

Day 2- Karate Kid- the original
Mr. Miyagi and Daniel son kill it in this movie. Also in the top ten.

Day 3- The Naked Gun.
Hilarious cop movie! My poor mom, here she would leave us kids in my dad's capable hands thinking we were watching Sound of Music and practicing our piano. Fortunately for my sister and I, my dad had no such plan and our home turned to mayhem. We were fighting and shooting and learning all about compound fractures (in Bloodsport). Ahhh, Women's Retreat was always a fun weekend at our house. ;-)

Day 4- Exile.
It was a Disney Sunday night movie about a group of kids who get stranded on a deserted island. It has Cory Feldman in it- nuf said. I am not sure where you can find it. If you do find it, let me know!

Day 5- I've said it before and I will say it again, last time. Anne of Green Gables!
It is a must- have for any personal movie collection. I know you've heard of it so I won't waste your time. If you've seen it, watch it again. If you haven't seen it, where have you been?

Day 6- Indiana Jones- Raiders of the Lost Ark
I am really judgmental about movies. I hear the name or I hear of the lead actor and I think I will hate it. That is how I felt about this movie. I saw this when I was a young buck, probably 6 or 7 (while my mom was at Women's Retreat) and I was completely freaked out by it. I grew up hating Indiana Jones movies. Fortunately for me, I married a guy who likes Indiana Jones and I have seen the light. Raiders of the Lost Arc is my favorite of the series.

Day 7- I think you should try The Veggie Tales.
It's not Kung Fu or 80's but it will make you wish you were a cucumber. Go on Netflix and they have a bunch of them available on "watch instantly". They have good "love your neighbor" messages but just as important, they have great comedy.

Enjoy this week of 80's-kung fu-veggie movies. I'll be back soon!

3 comments:

mindy said...

very offended that princess bride, hoosiers, and ferris bueller didn't make it in the week.

Kim Allgood said...

Hoosiers? Bleh! However, you are right, Princess Bride and Ferris Bueller should have been on there. I totally suck.

Diana said...

I've never seen Anne of Green Gables. Sorry. You totally missed all the greats, though, on your list. Can't live without all the John Hughes movies...Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club,etc. And you cannot leave out one of my Top Ten movies of all time: Breaking Away!!!!