our family, our food, our fun

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

So over 2010- new focus for blog

So 2010 came and went, like a really fast thing. Like a puma (see Napoleon Dynamite). I am finding a lack of focus for the blog equals a lack of desire to blog. I am feeling a little "Seriouslysoblessed-ish" and while it is a lovely feeling, it isn't for the massive viva following I have obtained over the years. New blog focus: "A Week Of..." Some weeks, it will be "A week of Crafts for kids". Other weeks, we will have, "A week of healthy meals" or "A week of desserts" or "A week of documentaries". Hopefully through the weeks, you will find some useful info and wicked humor.

This week we celebrate
"A WEEK OF DOCUMENTARIES"- I am borderline crazy when it comes to documentaries. I get obsessed with the messages about corporate fraud, government conspiracy, food, fat, war, credit cards, marathons, and I eat it up. I am the target audience for ANY documentary about ANYTHING. So, my reviews may not be particularly helpful because I find them all entertaining but here goes. Kicking off "A WEEK OF DOCUMENTARIES".


Monday- A favorite of mine: Food, Inc.
You must watch this if you never want to go into a normal grocery store again. It is amazing how much the government has gotten involved in what we eat. It is financially impossible for me at the moment to buy entirely organic but the minute we get a big raise or sell our business for millions or billions, Whole Foods will be my only grocer.

Tuesday- Sicko
I am sure most of you have heard of this. Injustice after injustice committed against folks that can't take the hit. It idealizes France and Canada kind of a lot but when you watch this next Tuesday, let me know what your ideas are for healing the healthcare system.

Sicko

Wednesday- King Corn
All about our reliance on corn in America and how it is in EVERYTHING and how most of the corn that is planted in America today is corn that is actually not edible. Yikes.



Thursday- Food Matters
This is about how raw foods can heal what ails you. People share their stories about how they have been healed of cancer through the consumption of raw foods. It is pretty remarkable and if I ever get cancer, I will be a surviving raw foodie.



Friday- The Spirit of the Marathon
Alright, this is a good one to watch without anyone else around. I loved this show- it follows people as they train for the Chicago Marathon. I laced up my running shoes and ran in place the entire show and as I did so, tears streamed down my face as the Olympian crossed the finish line after having in injury during her training. It was very powerful and done very well. It will make you want to run a marathon. Atleast for a few days.


Saturday- The Future of Food
I know, there is a theme to my documentary love: food conspiracies. Also a good one.
THE FUTURE OF FOOD VIDEO COVER

Finally, for sabbath viewing- Stealing a Nation
About the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean. It used to be a peaceful, beautiful group of islands, now housing an American military base. The citizens of these coral islands, were peaceful and benign mostly Creole. They were brutally expelled from their homes so that America could build their base and police the world. Warning: It may provoke a personal desire to move to Switzerland.
Stealing a Nation

Most of these can be found on Hulu, Netflix or Veoh. Happy Viewing!

A few loose ends before closing for the rest of the week...

We had a ladies day out when we were up in Washington for Christmas. Aunt Kate, G-ma, Future Aunt Dea, Great Aunt Ali, and me and my girls went to the Pacific Northwest Ballet performance of, "The Nutcracker". It was very exciting (minus Rebecca's emotional and loud outburst)
Peter found some food in the garbage to eat because apparently he is wasting away!








One more thing...
Happy New Year - Boise Idaho




6 comments:

Unknown said...

hooray, you are back.

I've seen many of those, but can only take so many food documentaries before I decide to go on IVs or live on a farm in rural California (neither of which are possibilities). The marathon one looks interesting. Are these all Netflix streaming videos?

Oh, and Happy New Year to you!

Kim Allgood said...

I saw most of these on Netflix streaming. Stealing a Nation is streaming on Veoh.com. Some I recently looked for on Netflix streaming and they are no longer streaming but are available to rent. Good luck!

Laney said...

I've missed you! The Civil War by Ken Burns is my all time favorite documentary. Ever. We're going to have to chat re: raw foods, etc. I'm a BIG fan! As well as getting as much processed foods out of your diet as possible.

P.S. I don't know how you can watch Michael Moore. You're much kinder than me! He grates on every last one of my nerves.

Diana said...

So nice to read your blog again. I like your "new year" approach. I'm trying to do something different too because I am bored to death of my own life. :) I like your documentary choices but, you know me, I slant more to the conservative side of things. But I do keep an open mind and like to hear and understand both sides of an issue presented to me. I've been watching a lot of Morgan Spurlock's mini-documentaries, which have been really good. "30 Days" I think is the name of his show. Very interesting stuff about coal mining and the prison system and living on minimum wage, etc. My goodness, I'm going on and on. Sorry for the huge comment. Happy New Year to you. Love, your Republican friend.

Bridget said...

I haven't seen any of these...but I do like a well done documentary. Tymon and I watched one (maybe a year ago) about gangs. That was really interesting. We also saw one about a college educated prostitute a while back. That was fascinating and super sad at the same time. And I really loved Super Size Me. That kept me away from McDonald's for about 6 months.

Laney said...

Hey - have you seen the preview for this? My coworkers just told me about. I might actually see it in the theater. It looks magical to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv2Af-H7ZnI

Miss you girl!