our family, our food, our fun

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Overwhelmingly behind, but I don't feel guilty.

I have been meaning to do this for a while now but just can't find the time. I am not sure I can right now but I will get started anyway. Jared and I were asked to go on Trek. Trek is something that our stake (our local congregations for church combine to make a stake) puts on every 4 years for the youth (12-18 year olds). We were asked to be a Ma and Pa for the event. It is a 3 day, 2 night experience where we were organized into families, we pushed a handcart, slept in tents, hiked a bunch and had an extremely enriching experience. Here are some of our photos...

Here is the Allgood family. Looking glam for 5am.
Here with our handcart, just starting out.
Glad I only have one boy in real life- these guys were precious but I am still grateful.
Here we are in our pioneer glory. I'll have you know I made that bonnet!
The fireside- the first evening. Freezing cold and bug infested!
Our kiddos provided some entertainment at the fireside.
Good morning, day 3 with no shower!
I couldn't pass this super photo-op up.
Here is our Utah extended family. We love you Poyfairs!
No Pioneer Trek would be complete without Ma and daughter doing sky jump showing off our killer pioneer clothes.
up a hill.
This is the Sweetwater Crossing memorial. When the Pioneers were crossing the plains, a storm came through at this point. Young men saved the lives of hundreds of elderly, women, and children while giving up their own.
The Women's Pull- this is where (in actual Pioneer times) the men were called away to war and the women had to pull the handcarts on their own. Reenacting this was a very powerful experience.
The men of the family.
Here is the whole group (well all that would fit in my lens)
Ma and Pa singing Ipod karaoke on the bus. Everyone should have this experience.
Well that is it for now. I am going to try and catch up over the next couple of weeks.


Here are my ten-
1. Apple Pear Blueberry Crisp (recipe on post below)
2. The Pioneer Trek
3. Pedro, who is STILL not walking and I love it!
4. MJ who is growing up in a really good way.
5. Dee who is shy but incredibly confident so I don't feel bad saying she is shy.
6. Rebs who has learned her letters and sounds!
7. When chaos somehow gets made peaceful with classical music.
8. A clean bedroom.
9. Neighbors who are really great to me.
10. People you can really get into with over politics and everyone comes away feeling edified and happy.

4 comments:

monica said...

love the pioneer wear. very cute.
i am sure trek was a very memorable experience, glad we got to see a glimpse of it.

looking forward to the next few posts!

Jon said...

I remember doing this –it was a lot of fun. My "family" was in the lead and we were going so fast that we were pulled from the train and had to let a bunch of other families go ahead of us. When we started again we passed all the families that were supposed to slow us down. After we made camp our 'ma and pa' explained that they had wanted us to go slower so the sun would set and we (every in the train) would have a hard time making our way in the dark –you know to make for a more realistic experience. Turns out all the chaperones had made the same trek the week previous and had gone much slower and felt that made the experience better.

Did you guys kill chickens? We did…

Kim Allgood said...

Was killing chickens a sanctioned activity or was it rebellious carnivorous teenagers that got hungry? ;-)

No, we did not kill any chickens. I was worried about the whole thing feeling too contrived but it wasn't at all. I had to do NO acting. Thank goodness! I don't know if you have heard my repertoire of accents but it isn't pretty. Looking forward to seeing you guys in a month!

Carolyn said...

I'm SO GLAD you had this opportunity to go on trek so I could babysit my adorable grandkids...miss them SO MUCH!!! Love, Mom