This is the arm of someone who has no business being anywhere near a hot stove, EVER.
Yes those are FOUR hot oil burns all the way up my arm. There is another on my hand but you can't see it from here. Funny thing is- I am not surprised- it happens almost every time I cross the kitchen threshold. A burn, a cut, a scrape, a spill. This is the only one that was ever bad enough to photograph though. It hurt bad!But, this was dessert- I didn't eat it but from what people told me- my sacrifice was worthwhile.

The burn actually occurred while making Indian Butter Chicken. It is amazing. Make it! Serves appx 10. It is a huge crowd pleaser. I have changed a few things from the original recipe: Easy Indian Butter Chicken on allrecipes.com. I halved the butter for it. Don't worry, I have made it both ways- you won't miss the extra butter!!!
SAUCE
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- CHICKEN
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tandoori masala, madras curry powder, garam masala or a combination of whatever curry spices you have. Tandoori is kinda hard to find so you may need to substitute if you can't find it.
- DIRECTIONS
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Melt a 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion caramelizes to a dark brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat along with the tomato sauce, heavy cream, salt, cayenne pepper, and garam masala. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low; cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then stir in caramelized onions.
- While the sauce is simmering, toss cubed chicken breast with vegetable oil until coated, then season with tandoori masala and spread out onto a baking sheet.
- Bake chicken in preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 12 minutes. Once done, add the chicken to the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes before serving.
Serving Suggestions: Serve with Basmati Rice and Indian Rotis (A type of Indian Tortilla kind of). I got the burn making the Rotis. Be careful!



10 comments:
Thank you Kim for your selfless sacrifice. Both the dessert and the Indian Butter Chicken were phenomenal. Though it pains me to say it, I would sacrifice your arm for that meal any day. ;-)
um...thanks?
ouch! I had a friend in high school that burned her neck almost daily with her curling iron. She tried to pass them off as hickies--but sometimes they were on her forehead, too, so that was a little obvious.
Your dessert is making me drool by the way!
And you're sweet to ask about Doris! I still have her, and she's awesome! But I would also like someone who can stay a little later in the day so I"m not leaving kids unattended in the mansion, you know? That's when my water problem happened last week. I wasn't even in the house. How horrible of a mother am I???? Thing is, I'm not willing to put in the energy it takes at the beginning of a new empleada. It's so draining! I have to show her where everything goes, how to load the dishwasher, use every appliance, how to put Lindsay to bed, sooth her....the list goes on. It's a pain, and I"m not ready to go through that again.
Sorry about your burns...really!
Oh my Kim! Does your arm still hurt? I am impressed that you pushed through and kept on cooking! :) And what about the recipe for that dessert??!?! That looks utterly delicious! Hope you are recovered... good thing it's cold enough to wear long sleeves these days.
ouch
except you are an incredible cook. so I guess you OUGHT to be in the kitchen, it's just slightly masochistic.
So sorry about your arm!! OUCH! But that dessert looks AMAZING!!!!
I also just caught up on your Halloween posts. Oh, how I love your kids! Their costumes were all adorable, and Sweet PEA is getting so big! I cannot WAIT to see you all at Thanksgiving. And seriously, when are you coming to NYC to see us???
-Kate
Kim, I hope by now your arm is feeling better!!!
I think deep frying a turkey is out of the question for you-WAY TOO dangerous! Not that you were planning on deep frying a turkey. I'm just sayin... :D
Yeah, deep fried turkey not only sounds nasty but is completely out of the question for safety reasons.
And Kate, I will come to NY when you have plans to move to wherever we are. Mkay?
Wendy, I kind of made the recipe up- well I combined several different recipes but I googled searched, "Brownie Trifle" and looked at a few different ones. If you want more info, let me know!
I'm sorry you got burned, and, while the dessert looks delicious, I would gladly forego it if it meant no burns. Since you included the recipe, maybe you could add some instruction from your experience on how to avoid the burning part of the operation - or at least tell us at what point we might want to have the fire extinguisher at the ready.
Dave, my only bit of advice would be to not ever deep fry anything ever. That is really the only sure fire (and probably the healthiest option) to avoid little Italy from being tattooed on your arm. Aside from not deep frying, I am not sure this one would have been avoidable. I guess my other pearl of wisdom would be to run faster than the oil flies.
Post a Comment