A confession...
The first time I heard of these was almost 5 years ago- right after we moved to Cedar Hills. Someone invited us over for dinner and when I offered to bring something she told me we were having Hawaiian Haystacks so I could decide what went well with them.
--Insert justification here--- I had just had a baby and was a little hormonal/emotional and was having problems with nursing. So, after some searching on the internet, and learning what they were- I burst into tears. I really did. Cream of Mushroom soup and chicken in the crockpot until completely mushy, covered with cheese and other vegetables served over white rice. I wanted to call her back and say, "NOTHING goes well with Hawaiian Haystacks, those sound nasty!" Thank goodness I didn't though. After some minor alterations, they have become one of my favorite dinners!
So here is my recipe-
1- 3-4lb. boneless pork butt roast or 3-4 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
1 can of coconut milk (light or regular)
2 T. soy sauce
1/3 cup pineapple juice (from 15oz. can of pineapple tidbits- reserve fruit for toppings)
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
**Put all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low 8 hours. Once chicken is done, turn crockpot off and let sit in juices for 10-20 minutes.
8-10 servings of jasmine rice
**While meat is resting, prepare rice according to package directions. When rice is done, shred meat and place in serving containers. Keep rice and chicken SEPARATE for fear of mushiness.
For the toppings: (chop enough to last a couple of days if you eat leftovers because I will eat this for dinner the first day, lunch and dinner the next and usually lunch and dinner the next.) Just bag your veggies up individually.
Celery- diced
Tomato- diced
Green Onion- chopped
Pineapple- tidbits (a 15 oz. can)
Toasted Coconut
Crunchy Chow Mein Noodles
Cheddar Cheese- finely shredded
Shredded or grated carrots
Bell pepper (any color)- chopped or diced
Toasted almond slivers or cashews
I Do Now
4 days ago



2 comments:
i didn't know about these until 2 years ago, and I've loved them ever since. I keep the sauce and stacks separate as well--yuck! do other people mix them?
i'm excited to try your variation. thanks for the inspiration!
when's that baby boy get here???
hopefully in the next week or two- he is causing nothing but problems! ;-)
Post a Comment