our family, our food, our fun

Saturday, January 31, 2009

A paddle short of a canoe trip?




I wanted to share a couple of "recipes" with you- not because I am (see post title) but because it is super cheap, better for your health, and so much better for the environment. I just made a container that contains one gallon of laundry detergent and when the math is said and done- each load of laundry will cost about 1 and a half cents.
So, in case you are interested in chemical free laundry detergent here is the recipe:

---1 bar of mild smelling or unscented soap (do not use Fels Naptha- even though some websites recommend it- there are a bunch of unnamed chemicals in it)
---1 cup of Borax
---1 cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda
---4 cups of water
---a few drops of essential oil (optional)
---and a 1.5 gallon pail or bucket with tight fitting lid.

Finely grate 1 bar of soap.
Bring to boil 4 cups of water and add the soap. Let the soap sit on the stove for about 10 minutes covered until the soap melts and remove from heat.
Put the soap mixture into pail or bucket and add borax and washing soda. Combine until well combined. Add 1 gallon of water and continue to mix well- about 5 minutes- with large spoon.

Cover and let sit for 24 hours and then add essential oil if you choose- mix in well. Use 1/4 cup per load of laundry (this should be enough for about 64-72 loads). If you choose to double or triple- use a 5 or ten gallon bucket to store and then transfer to smaller containers as needed. Shake or stir your smaller container before each use.

I also made a chemical free- all natural multi purpose cleaner. It contains equal parts of vinegar, water and essential oil to your taste. I cannot stand the smell of vinegar so the essential oil was a must for me. Put into a spray bottle and shake well. I cleaned my floors this morning, my counter, my cabinet fronts and my refrigerator handles with this solution using a half cup of water and half cup of vinegar and two or three drops of mandarin oil. It worked great!

I read that laundry detergents, dryer sheets and fabric softeners are among the worst offenders for the environment and personal health. After I try a few homemade chemical-free replacements of those products, I will post those recipes here and my conclusions about them. Or, do your own research and see what you can come up with. I would love to hear about it if you try these or something different.

5 comments:

monica said...

i just noticed you had the mcdonalds on your side browzer, how do you know mimi and john? my jon and john were roommates freshmans year and then mission compainoins in argentina.
do you think they sell borax at costco? i only seem to make it there and home on a shopping day. :)

Brooke said...

I'm looking forward to your post on conclusions. It sounds like a great idea.

Brooke said...

Oh yeah, and the reason why I asked if it was made with lard is because my Grandma (up until a few years ago) made own detergent. She's save all the grease from cooking and wait til it hardened and used it as part of the recipe.

martha corinna said...

I've been using the vinegar for a long time. I will try the detergent.
I think I made something similar a few years ago.

Lisa said...

So just yesterday I bought these ingredients to do it too and now I see you are bloggin about it! But I bought felsnaptha. What do you buy and where did you buy it?

I am supposed to make it with my friend tomorrow.