our family, our food, our fun

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Homemade Detergent Conclusions...

Okay- I know I have only used it for a few days but I love it! I haven't been witness to any major transformations but knowing that it is so cheap and so much better for us- I will take it! I washed a white onesie of Rebecca's that had Carnation Instant Breakfast spilled down the front of it. It was still wet so I rubbed some of the washing soda on it and put it in the wash with my homemade laundry detergent and the stain came out. I don't know how it would be if I didn't pretreat but I didn't use bleach. So, that is my first result. I made the laundry detergent and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and then just refill a quart size Rubbermaid container with a lid that seals well and the top has a pour spout. That has worked great!

I made a granite cleaner- FYI-use 1 cup Isopropyl Alcohol to 3 parts Water and a few drops of PH neutral dish detergent- it works great! The granite looks brand new. I put it in a spray bottle and spray at the end of the day. There are water bottles in the cleaning section of the grocery store that about a dollar cheaper than the ones in haircare and are better quality. (Opaque is better for cleaning products)

The glass cleaner is fantastic (and safe to eat off of) I have been using that in place of Windex and I think it even works better than Windex- chemical free!

I think that is all I have to report so far. I will continue with updates. I just keep telling myself- a penny per load of laundry! INSANE! All these items are septic and sewer system safe. Don't worry, I am not going to start my own MLM- I just want you to know that there are options out there for the two of you who read this!;-)

8 comments:

sallgood said...

I'm glad to hear about all of your new "products"! Now if you could just come up with someone to do all that cleaning and laundry for you!!

Kim Allgood said...

One thing that is really nice about this though is I don't have to worry about the girls passing out from Windex fumes anymore. They each get a container of cleaner and get to work. It feels a little like slave labor. Though a personal assistant to take care of the laundry would be a plus!!!

Diana said...

I idolize you!

Christi said...

Great ideas! I love the vinegar and water thing for the girls too, I know it's safe, and they love it! I'll have to try to laundry detergent because I hate all those chemicals too! Sure miss you guys! 9 more days..I'll call ya soon!

Bruce said...

That is awesome that you are doing that. I am going to have to give it a try. I go through "earth friendly stages" hopefully I can get back on track! :)

Brooke said...

Sounds great! I'm going to try it sometime when I get ambitious.

mindy said...

what a great idea! kkep posting about how it works-i'm curious!!

and so glad i could make you cry laugh. i was going for pee pants, but i'll take whatever i can get. you're the best. hang in there!

Unknown said...

HELLO KIM! Glad I found you and now I am needing to try some of that homemade detergent. Very intriguing!