our family, our food, our fun

Friday, October 30, 2009

a SEW talented Halloween!

My fabulous friend Cindy agreed to make a zookeeper vest for MJ. She did a fantastic job! MJ was the cutest kid in her class and she and Dee were the cutest in the school....OBVIOUSLY!
Now lest you think I leave the work of Halloween costume-ing entirely up to other mothers, I would like to show you how SEW very talented I am! Enter: "Liquid Stitch".
We borrowed a khaki cargo skirt from a friend but it didn't match the vest....SEW, I whipped up a khaki skirt of my own!
Sright. Every mother at the elementary school laughed in disgust when I told them what I had done. How do you like that tweed drawstring? NICE.MJ loved it- liquid stitch and all and she looked freakin adorable! (and yes, that is the flying monkey that makes the monkey call when you shoot it across the room. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't go off in the middle of class but then again, I laugh out loud just thinking that it may!)

Next up: The Gypsy.
Dee originally wanted to be a ghost but honestly, I thought that would be pretty boring for a girl. We were looking online at some ghost ideas and ran across a gypsy costume that would set us back about $72.00. Now, I couldn't stand the idea of spending that kind of money on a 1 use outfit so I turned to the Ebays for some help. I found the skirt for $14.00. With shipping it was $18.00. I thought "perfect, we will use some other clothes and accessories that we already have to whip up the costume and at the end of the day it will be under $25.00". Great! Little did I know, you need hip scarves, makeup, jewelry, a shirt to go with the skirt that doesn't have a stain on it, new black tights, new black shoes, and a hair headband. At the end of the day, I'd say the gypsie set me back about $50.00. Cheaper that it's ready-made counterpart but so far beyond budget it's ridiculous. At least we had fun making the jewelry!



This was Dee and MJ at their school parade. I am one of those winner moms that brings my afternoon kindergartner to the parade with her big sister in the morning so I don't have to come back to the PM kindergarten parade. You do what you gotta do.
Next up- the Ladybug!
To Be Continued....
I realized there aren't any cute pictures where you can see Rebs' whole costume in it. Stay tuned in the next day or two.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

who needs a sewing machine when you've got liquid stitches? I don't see the problem.

Happy Halloween Allgoods!

Brooke said...

Alright, those are some awesome costumes. Both costumes are so stinking cute! I love the hat for the zoo keeper costume. As for the expense on the Gypsy costume, it can be passed down. No worries! Hope you're all feeling better soon.

Carolyn said...

I've never seen a cuter Zoo Keeper or Gypsy!!!! The girls look adorable! You did a great job with their costumes, Kim! Can't wait to see Reb's pictures tomorrow. I love the liquid stitching stuff...just what I would have done! :)
Love, Mom

mindy said...

ok ok, you've redeemed yourself from that bad crazy hair day...

great job on the costumes!! and I've never used liquid stitch. am I totally missing out on something??

sallgood said...

SEW CUTE!! I wish we could be there to hear the monkey scream as MJ goes trick-or-treating!!! Happy Halloween!!!!

Laney said...

Your kids can't help but be stinking cute. Look at their parents!?! The costumes are awesome!

Tom and Amy said...

very cute costumes! You are one clever mama!